Writing a thesis is an important event for each student. It must be approached very responsibly and seriously, relying, first of all, on its interest in disclosing the questions of the topic, and not on the final assessment.
Choose a theme carefully
The first stage is the selection of a topic, the success of the work as a whole depends on it. If the supervisor or commission present at the defense of graduation projects concludes that she has no scientific value, then problems can arise.
When choosing a topic, pay attention to:
- Relevance. Whether the selected problem is relevant to current trends and whether it is possible to use it for the development of science is the main factor.
- Scientific novelty. Before you familiarize your supervisor with your idea, look through the library of dissertations and written articles on this issue. If enough attention was paid to this aspect, then it is better to think again. But at the same time, literature should be sufficient, otherwise there will be no complete theoretical support.
- Your interest. If this topic does not interest you, it can be seen from the text of the work itself – the questions are not studied deeply enough, the practical part is done with ignorance of theoretical aspects. So that the writing process does not turn into torture, but into energetic searches with a spark of interest, choose only those moments that you yourself want to understand.
- The topic of work is an important quality criteria. If you do not discuss all the nuances with the supervisor in advance, then, due to an unsuccessful choice of topics, protection may be in question. However, in addition to a successful topic, the thesis project is evaluated on a number of other factors. After the direction of work is approved by the supervisor, several important parameters need to be taken into account.
The quality criteria for a thesis include:
- Compliance with the requirements for the structure. The project should consist of a title page, table of contents, introduction, main part (standard – 2-3 chapters), conclusions, list of references and applications. If necessary, you can additionally make and handout. Also according to the requirements before the title page are applied: abstract, abstract, abstract and so on.
- Review supervisor and reviewer. The reviewer is usually chosen by the department. But the decisive stage is protection – it is the quality of presentation of ideas that influences the assessment.
- The quality of writing an introduction to the project. This is a very important part: here you need to justify the relevance, object and subject matter, formulate goals and objectives, describe methods and techniques, and reveal the structure of work. The Commission pays close attention to the introduction, so you need to write it responsibly.
- The content of the main part. It should be a reflection of the main issues. As a rule, the first section is an elucidation of scientific works devoted to the study of these issues, the second (maybe more) is your personal research and vision of the situation.
- Depth of the above conclusions From your work you need to really squeeze the maximum and come to the specifically formulated conclusions. They should be mirrored in the introduction, that is, you should answer the questions posed there, consider all of these aspects. The number of assigned tasks in the introduction should correspond to the number of conclusions in the conclusion.
- Attention is also paid to the list of references: the more new research in it (performed in the last 5 years), the better, it is necessary to arrange it in accordance with all the methodological subtleties. Applications should visually illustrate the conclusions; they can be diagrams, graphs, oscillograms, maps, and more.